Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Personal statement #2

What do you think of when someone mentions the word scholarship? Do you think of money? Or do you think of a brighter future? I think of both of those things when I hear the word scholarship. Money pops up and me in a Lamborghini, but the major thing that pops up is the face of my parents when I tell them that I am able to go to college and not pay for any of it. When I tell them that the money they would be spending on me they can spend on themselves for all those years of hard working, when I can tell them that receiving this scholarship will help me reach my goals in life.

I want my parents to be proud of me; I want them to be able to say “Si, ella la trabajadora es mi hija” which means “Yes, she’s my daughter the hard working one”. Since I am the oldest and only girl out of two brothers it’s always hard for me to stand out. I get the good grades and am MVP for volleyball, and captain for volleyball and soccer. That doesn’t seem to be enough for my dad and mom. My younger brother doesn’t get the awesome grades and isn’t the star soccer player, But simply because I’m a girl it changes everything. My dad doesn’t attend to most of my games but does attend my brothers, he also paid money so that I brother could enter a team, even if he didn’t have his good grades. In the other hand, he didn't want to pay for my select volleyball team because it was to much.

I just simply want to prove to my parents, mostly to my dad that I will succeed in life and even be more successful than my brothers. Maybe one day in the future I will be a soccer player or maybe I’ll be stopping crime in the streets. I simply want to be someone not just anyone. I don’t want to be another failure I want people to know who Ana Alicia Gavia.

Another reason why I want to succeed is because I want to help people that are less privileged than I am. All those people that are suffering and starving. I want to help them, I want to put a smile on their face. God put us here together, as one big family and we were ment to help each other out. You need to help people out so that when you are in need they help you out too, but not simply because of that but because you get a good feeling inside when you help someone out and simply because it’s the right thing to do.

I think that scholarship donors should invest in me because I’m a person that likes to succeed and not let people down. Many people in my life look at me and think that I’m not going to succeed; I want to prove those people wrong and make someone out of me. I also think that they should give me the scholarships because I’ll put their money to good use. I also think that they should give me the scholarship because I bet they also want me to be someone in life and help out the community and even help out the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment